16.8.09

Fall campaigns over the years - Burberry.

Although I don’t approve HATRED for certain things, the one I cannot stand is summer. Very hot weather makes me cry, and more importantly, think of fabulous trenchcoats, blazers, berets and boots. I love summer issues of VOGUE I purchase on my foreign holidays but I love fall issues of VOGUE I buy at home even more. Fall campaigns - that is closely watched interest of mine. I chose Burberry, the winner over last years but (I think) a loser this year. Read on...
2007: Kids are alright!
2007 saw an emergence of what the fashion probably have never seen before: a short-haired masculine yet feminine girl wearing The Clash t-shirt and Gucci handbag, with an interest in house design. In 2007, new generation of models seemed something different from past years. No more heroin chics and cocaine scandallers. No more of "You know, I’m just an ordinary girl from the eastern Europe in jeans and a t-shirt." What came instead was a powerful combination of strong look and to-the-public very interesting personal style. Agyness Deyn, to me still seems as the most perfect choice for Fall Burberry campaign - with her love for the oldies (The Clash, of course) but future-forwarded look.
2007 also was the year of tough punky chic look. From that on, it still continues. Maybe it wouldn’t be that popular, if Agy wouldn’t stroll the catwalks, red carpets and party floors.


2008: Under control
Elegant, simple and oh-so-british. 2008 fall Burberry campaign featured Sam Riley, the star of 2007 Anton Corbijn’s masterpiece Control and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. The simple photoshoot located in Kensington Gardens in London, recalls cool british autumn times by all means. Foggy weather, but more importantly, timeless trenchcoats & coats with a superb but small ’heavy metal’ touch.
2008 fall collection forecasted the future of Burberry. Less punkie and more conservative and classic items. It’s upon you, a dear reader, to decide if it’s any good.
2009: A magical actress with an ordinary look?
I cannot help myself but this year’s Burberry fall campaign is quite a disaster. Where are the exciting shots filled with fresh air of 70s glam & punk feeling? What has been done with the mystery of British romantic autumn weather I praise so much? Emma Watson might be a good actor (I’m not here to judge that), but definitely as proven on the photos beneath, she is not a good model. What strikes me most of all is her facial expression. Is she smiling? Or is she trying to look ’natural’? In a way, her facial expression resembles me of Leonardo’s paintings (like you don’t know what Mona Lisa is thinking about). Otherwise, miss Watson was a bad step forward.
I am not excited by the clothing line either. The dust is falling on brain of the creative director Christopher Bailey. Chris, I wish the dust was the diamond or the golden one... This season, unfortunately it’s the dust of ordinary life.


And what do you think about new Burberry line and campaign? Which Burberry fall campaign is your favourite?

1 comment:

  1. I love them all!
    I think Agynes, Rosie and Emma all did great jobs.
    But I have to disagree I think Emma looks great here!
    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete

HEADER PICTURE BY